Education - What's on the Horizon?
Join us as we take a look at the recently released New Media Consortium (NMC) Horizon Report 2013 Higher Education Edition. The NMC Horizon Project was designed to identify and describe emerging technologies likely to have an impact on learning, teaching and creative inquiry in education. The research for this year's report was jointly conducted by the New Media Consortium and the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative (ELI), an EDUCAUSE Program.
Adoption horizons of 6 emerging technologies or practices identified in the Horizon Report 2013 Higher Education Edition:
- One Year or Less - Massively Open Online Courses (MOOCs), Tablet Computing
- Two to Three Years - Games and Gamification, Learning Analytic
- Four to Five Years - 3D Printing, Wearable Technology
This panel discussion will also include a demonstration of some of the tools associated with these emerging technologies and how these trends are being applied to teaching and learning.
- Jennifer Herman, Director of Instructional Support, Niagara University
- Roberta (Robin) Sullivan, TLC Online/Distance Education Support, Teaching & Learning Center, University at Buffalo
- Nathan Whitley-Grassi, Faculty Instructional Technologist, Empire State College
- Participants will be able to identify and describe emerging technologies likely to have a large impact on teaching and learning.
- Participants will be able to analyze how these technology trends might shape the future of higher education and their implication for higher education.
- Participants will be able to consider ways to implement some of these trends into their own teaching, learning or research needs.
- Category: Teaching with Technology
- Type: Panel
- Date: Friday, April 12, 2013
- Time: 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Location: 259 Harriman Hall, South Campus
- Reasonable Accommodations: If you require reasonable accommodations to participate in this workshop, please contact the Office of Educational Innovation & Assessment (email@example.com, 716-645-7700) as soon as possible.
Registration for this workshop is closed.